Team Hotham Backcountry Skills Camp 2, powered by Alpine Access
Team Hotham Backcountry Skills Camps powered by Alpine Access.
Camp 2: Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 of August (Strictly limited to 8 participants)
AST1 is a two-day course – 1 day in the classroom, and 1 day out in the backcountry.
What you will learn in an AST 1 course:
- avalanche formation and release
- identify avalanche terrain
- the basics of trip planning
- optimal use of tools and resources like the avalanche forecasts to mitigate your avalanche risk
- use appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain
- companion rescue using beacon, shovel, probe.
We also incorporate into the field day of our course an emphasis on backcountry touring technique, safe touring in the Australian backcountry and touring etiquette. The participants on our courses are always a diverse group with one main thing in common, a passion for the mountains and a desire to learn the skills and knowledge to be safe in the backcountry. This makes for a fun, stimulating & challenging two days.
Equipment needed for backcountry day:
- Avalanche transceiver, Shovel, Probe
- Snacks & lunch
- Sunglasses, sunhat, sunscreen
- Beanie or helmet, gloves, goggles
- Warm layers (not cotton)
- Waterproof outerwear
- Skiers: Skis with touring bindings & skins, poles
- Snowboarders: Snowboard & snowshoes OR splitboard setup, 3 piece poles
7 in stock