U8 Snowboard Fundamentals – Weekends
The U8 Youth Development Weekends Snowboard programs are specifically designed for athletes between the ages of 5 to 8years, the program runs from Saturday to Sunday each week and has 29 days of on-snow and dryland training.
The programs aim to instil a passion for snow sports while developing strong fundamental Snowboarding skills so athletes are confident on Blue runs. Confidence and self-discipline are developed through sequential programming and friendly competition, in a family-oriented environment.
Getting started and building the basics
U8 Athletes will learn the basics of athletic snowboarding and build skills and friendships to last a lifetime.
The focus is on having fun and spending as much time on snow as possible. Variety is the key to the development of skilled, versatile athletes who are able to handle anything, anywhere:
- Continue refining all key skills of snowboarding including;
- Balance, edging, steering, jumping, and timing
- Bumps and jumps;
- Off-piste in trees and powder;
- Slow, controlled and precise snowboarding;
- Short turns – medium turns – big turns – no turns;
- Fast, athletic and fluid movement;
- Regular freeride activity to further refine complement of skills
- Gate training; and
- Specific race techniques.
Maximum Age Level Enrolment
- 32 athletes
- U8 athletes should be confident snowboarders on blue runs (such as Sun Run or Slalom Gully)
- Progressed to Level 5 at ski school (including Hotham’s Might Might Freddy French Fries / Hot Shots)
- Prior race training experience is NOT necessary!